Product Reviews, Restaurant Reviews and Recipes: All GLUTEN FREE!
Well, from the previews of the Great British Bake-Off, we know they’re making Doughnuts this week, so I decided to make some myself using a mix I’ve had in the pantry for a while. The Foodamentalists make a range of mixes which are GLUTEN FREE and WHEAT FREE. I have previously made their Yorkshire Pudding Mix not once but twice: although as I have an allergy to Egg Yolk, using the Egg Replacement product it didn’t have a great rise).
So how easy are they to make? How were the doughnuts?
The packet mix is GLUTEN FREE, WHEAT FREE and DAIRY FREE but as I avoid Egg Yolks, I used a Egg Replacement Product which makes it EGG FREE as well!
1) Made up the Egg Replacement mix (which is one and half teaspoons with cold water per “egg” into a paste) and add to 100 grams of Soya yoghurt and 12 grams of Sunflower Oil.
2) Add to the packet mix (which is Tapioca flour, Corn flour, Rice Flour, Sugar, Baking powder, Cinnamon, Xanthan gum and salt) according to the box, and make into a dough. Left it for 15 minutes.
3) Rolled out on a (Gluten Free) floured surface to approximately half-an-inch thick.
4) And using circular pastry cutters, made “rings” of doughnuts:
5) Fried in hot oil (at 190 Degrees) until they were golden brown on both sides which took around twenty seconds!
6) And then eat! It’s that simple…
MY STAR BAKE RESULTS:
A tasty sweet treat which were light and airy with some rise in the dough. They had a delicious sweet smell in the kitchen when cooking and biting into them: you can taste the cinnamon in the mix. They are best served immediately as I found they weren’t easy to resist and finished them off fairly quickly. The packet mix is available at £2.99 and I note from The Foodamentalists Website, they make round doughnuts (stuffed with jam) so I guess you could make these in a multitude of shapes and fill them as required!
A great ready mix that’s easy to cook and delicious to eat! All GLUTEN FREE, WHEAT FREE and DAIRY FREE, and if you follow my recipe: EGG FREE as well.
Other Foodamentalist Products reviewed on my blog include: