Attending & Tasting GLUTEN FREE Chocolate and NEW products at Food Matters LIVE in ExCel London, (in November 2015 with Photos & Links)…
Regular followers will know I love Food Shows and discovering new GLUTEN FREE products. Food Matters LIVE, as a trade show focused upon Food and Drink professionals, it aims to address “one of the most important challenges of our time: the relationship between food, health, nutrition and their connections with the environment, population health and well-being“. Unusually, the show includes Seminars, Award Presentations as well as the usual stalls of products for trialing and for purchase, so a new kind of Food Show!
Gluten Free Chocolate: I love my Chocolate, indeed, my latest Chocolate Bar post is one of the most popular postings I have written so I always spot it and try it! At the show, there were several Chocolatiers whom had lots of delicious chocolate for tasting:
Cavalier No Gluten containing Chocolates (SEE NOTE).
- Chocolate made with no added sugar: A Belgian Chocolatier: Cavalier make Chocolate sweet treats with Stevoil and not regular sugar and were quick to advise that their chocolate range is currently made in a factory that includes GLUTEN (WHEAT) but that would be changing next year, when they would be able to remove the “may contain…” from their labels.
Booja Booja Chocolates
- A British Chocolatier: Booja Booja, (who make some beautiful Chocolates) were trialing their new Rhubarb and Vanilla Fool: which was light and well flavoured.
- And around the corner OMBAR who make chocolate bars from Cacao Nibs and had launched their new “Feel Good Centres” with a creamy coconut filling: “Raspberry & Coconut” and “Coconut & Vanilla” For someone, who doesn’t really like coconut, theses were lovely as the smooth centres were very creamy and there were no “bits” with the coconut.
New soft centres OMBAR Chocolates
- And even more Chocolate: The Raw Chocolate Company (who recently featured on the TV Series Dragons Den) and secured an arrangement with Deborah Meaden. They have extended their range of raw chocolates to include NEW Chocolate covered fruits (Raw Chocolate Raisins as well as Vanoffe Mulberries and Raw Chocolate Golden Berries).
NEW Raw Chocolate Raisins by Raw Chocolate Company
The Raw Chocolate Company.
- The Bonny Confectionery handmade marshmallow company based in Wales were showing off their new Marshmallow Melts, a mixture of ready-to-eat marshmallows as well as some ready for hot milk ,to make a delicious Chocolate Drink. I have to say the mint chocolate flavoured marshmallow tasted of menthol and had a light airy texture.
- Jim Jam’s a new type of jam with lower level of sugars than standard products was on show at Food Matters LIVE. Using Malitol as a sweetener, the Chocolate Hazelnut Spread has significant less sugar than a main brand label.
- Sally Willams, a South African chocolate company makes Nougat dipped in chocolate. These were on show and tasted delicious with crunchy nougat covered in dark or milk chocolate.
Nougat chocolate coated from South Africa. No Gluten Containing Ingredients..
More South African Nougat covered in dark Chocolate: it was delicious.
- More Chocolates from Conscious Chocolates: a range of Chocolates which are GLUTEN FREE, DAIRY FREE, SOYA FREE and Free from Refined Sugars.
Superfood Chocolate Bars by IQ
- And not that I needed convincing, but Chocolate being the new Superfood (which were featured on BBC’s Great British Menu and was served to dignitaries at the 2012 Olympics) supported by research at the Rowett Institute, the healthy benefits have been extensively researched.
Part of the stand displaying produce from Scotland.
Which included Walker’s GLUTEN FREE Shortbreads.
- A delicious Chocolate Brownie (which tasted really good and filling). Made by Primal Joy Foods.
Chocolate brownies by Primal Joy Foods.
Other GLUTEN FREE products on show included:
More on display.
- Cow & Gate; Vegetable Pouches: Made up of blanched vegetables, used for encouraging children to eat their vegetables: proud to be GLUTEN FREE.
- 9 Bar:with a full range of bars available to try.
- Yushoi: Snapea Rice Sticks: Available in four flavours: although only READY SALTED is GLUTEN FREE.
- Cauli-Rice: A new product which was launched at Food Matters LIVE was Cauli Rice: made up from individual pieces of cauliflower, shaped to look and have the texture of rice. Unfortunately, they were having such a busy day, that they had run out of product for tasting (by the middle of the afternoon on Day 1 but promised to get more in). Intriguing idea.
- Another strange GLUTEN FREE drink was Jools: A juice based drink with bubbles of flavour (in the bottom). They discussed how this innovative product was being used for many savoury dishes well l as sweet drinks. An interesting idea!
Silly Yak Pastry
- And good to see Silly Yak making fresh warmed Sausage Rolls. These were with their frozen ready-to-use pastry which I have yet to see in the shops!
- And always good to see new GLUTEN FREE products: so imagine my excitement when I found Afia’s GLUTEN FREE Samosas. These are to be launched next year and will be found in freezer cabinets. Again, for tasting, they had a real spicy kick to them, without being too unpleasant or spicy! A great innovative product…
GF Samosacy: Launching soon.
The brilliant Man behind a range of Indian Gluten Free dishes, sauces and snack products.
So another grand show, with lots of GLUTEN FREE delight to enjoy. And whilst at the Food Matters LIVE, the Free From Eating Awards 2015 were distributed…